The D.R. Moon Memorial Public Library is seeking an energetic, creative, customer service-oriented professional as a Programs and Youth Services Coordinator. The ideal candidate will have a strong knowledge of children’s literature, experience developing and presenting innovative age-appropriate programs, a strong commitment to customer service, and good interpersonal and communication skills. Under direction from the Library Director, this employee is responsible for providing direct library service to children (ages 0 – 12) and other library users. Must be able to perform moderately heavy physical work and offer friendly customer service.
This is a part-time non-benefited position. Pay is set at $9.00/hr.
Applications will be accepted until the job is filled. Please submit your application to email@example.com, or drop the completed application in the front door book slot. Candidates submitting their application by 6:00 PM on Friday, June 4th, 2021 will be given first consideration. Find the application form here and see below for the full job description and requirements.
Job Description: Programs and Youth Services Coordinator
Work Status: Part-time, may work up to 20 hours per week if needed.
- Plans, prepares and presents regular story times, summer reading activities, and special programs for children of all ages.
- Works at circulation desk checking items in and out, renew items, responds to inquiries and places requests for materials through the More Catalog and WISCAT.
- Operates all computers, and software applicable to the library. Includes use of the internet, the Sierra Program, word processing, and spreadsheet applications. Operates equipment such as copier/printer machine, fax machine, scanner, and DVD/CD cleaning machine. Assists patrons with use of any library equipment.
- Presents information about library services and programs to individuals and groups.
- Develops and prepares displays, and decorations for children’s areas.
- Provides reference and readers advisory service to adult and juvenile customers.
- Participates in outreach activities as assigned.
- Assists in the preparation of bibliographies, fliers, and various library-finding aids.
- Supervise and discipline patrons according to library policies if necessary.
- Helps maintain the physical appearance and organization of the library. Re-shelve materials.
- Catalogs magazines/periodicals.
- Creates displays and creative ways to market library materials and resources to patrons.
- Regular cleaning and sanitizing of library spaces.
- Participates in continued education as requested by the Director.
- Perform other duties as requested.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to perform moderately heavy physical work: lifting and carrying, stooping, kneeling, crouching, standing, bending, twisting, and reaching.
- Able to offer friendly customer service and ability to work with a diverse population.
- Detail oriented, organized, and self-motivated.
- Ability to understand library policies and procedures and apply them to library operations.
- Ability to comprehend and follow instructions.
- Ability to promote a positive image of the library.
- Willingness to learn and perform new duties as the Library grows for the future.
Ability to work flexible hours, days, and Saturdays.
Experience working with youth required.
Experience working in libraries preferred.