The D.R. Moon Memorial Public Library is seeking a friendly, hard-working individual as a Library Assistant. The Library Assistant is responsible for providing excellent customer service to patrons with a variety of duties, including but not limited to working the circulation desk, operating all computers, software, and equipment applicable to the library, processing library materials, assisting patrons, and keeping the library clean. Must be able to perform moderately heavy physical work and offer friendly customer service.
This is a part-time non-benefitted position. Pay is set at $8.00/hr.
Applications will be accepted until the job is filled. Please submit your application to email@example.com, or drop the completed application in the front door book slot. Candidates submitting their application by 6:00 PM on Friday, September 25, 2020 will be given first consideration. Find the application form here and see below for the full job description and requirements.
Job Description: Library Assistant
Work Status: Part-time, may work up to 20 hours per week if needed.
- Works at circulation desk checking items in and out, renew items, responds to inquiries and places requests for materials through the More Catalog and Wiscat.
- Operates all computers, and software applicable to the library. Includes use of the internet, the Sierra Program, word processing, and spreadsheet applications. Operates equipment such as copier/printer machine, fax machine, scanner, and Dvd/Cd cleaning machine. Assists patrons with use of any library equipment.
- Catalogs new materials for the library as requested.
- Assists patrons in locating books and other items in the library.
- Supervise and discipline patrons according to library policies if necessary.
- Helps maintain the physical appearance and organization of the library. Re-shelve materials.
- Processes library materials for incoming and outgoing courier shipments.
- Assists Director with programs in the library as needed, perhaps teaching a class.
- Contributes new ideas for improvements in existing techniques and procedures.
- Assists Director with checking cataloged materials by other employees.
- Assists the Director with helping to oversee the Wiscat system.
- Catalogs magazines/periodicals.
- Assists the Director with the website and social media as requested.
- Creates displays and creative ways to market library materials and resources to patrons.
- Regular cleaning and sanitizing of library spaces.
- Participates in ordering and maintaining supplies and equipment.
- Participates in continued education as requested by the Director.
- Perform other duties as requested.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to perform moderately heavy physical work: lifting and carrying, stooping, kneeling, crouching, standing, bending, twisting, and reaching.
- Able to offer friendly customer service and ability to work with a diverse population.
- Detail oriented, organized, and self-motivated.
- Ability to understand library policies and procedures and apply them to library operations.
- Ability to comprehend and follow instructions.
- Ability to promote a positive image of the library.
- Willingness to learn and perform new duties as the Library grows for the future.
Ability to work flexible hours, days, and Saturdays.